NHL Spread & Game Preview: Winnipeg Jets vs. Chicago Blackhawks
The struggling Chicago Blackhawks will look to slow down the red-hot Winnipeg Jets when the two Central Division rivals square off in their division matchup on Friday night. Winnipeg can become the third team in the NHL to hit the 60-point mark this season when they continue their four-game road trip against a Chicago team that is in danger of falling into the last place in the suddenly competitive division but comes in as the slight betting favorite according to the NHL Spread.
Now, let’s find out what’s likely to go down when these two square off on Friday night.
Winnipeg Jets vs. Chicago Blackhawks NHL Spread & Game Preview
On The Radar presented by @Fastsignswpg!
— Winnipeg Jets (@NHLJets) 12 de enero de 2018
- When: Friday, January 12, 2018, 8:30 PM ET
- Where: United Center, Chicago, IL
- TV: TSN, NBCS
- Radio: 1290 AM (Winnipeg) / 720 AM (Chicago)
- Live Stream: NHL.tv
- NHL Spread: Chicago Blackhawks -1.5 (Over/Under at 6 goals)
- All: Winnipeg Jets 26-11-7 / Chicago Blackhawks 21-16-6
- Home: Winnipeg Jets 16-3-1 / Chicago Blackhawks 11-7-2
- Away: Winnipeg Jets 10-8-6 / Chicago Blackhawks 10-9-4
- As Favorite: Winnipeg Jets 19-6-3 / Chicago Blackhawks 14-11-2
- As Underdog: Winnipeg Jets 7-5-4 / Chicago Blackhawks 7-5-4
- ATS: Winnipeg Jets 25-19 / Chicago Blackhawks 23-20
- Over/Under: Winnipeg Jets 23-19-2 / Chicago Blackhawks 19-22-2
Head to Head Stats (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Winnipeg Jets 4-5-1 / Chicago Blackhawks 6-4-0
- Score: Winnipeg Jets 2.20 / Chicago Blackhawks 2.90
- Shots: Winnipeg Jets 29.70 / Chicago Blackhawks 32.10
- Power Play Goals: Winnipeg Jets 4 / Chicago Blackhawks 4
- Number of Power Plays: Winnipeg Jets 28 / Chicago Blackhawks 31
- Power Play Percentage: Winnipeg Jets 14.29 / Chicago Blackhawks 12.90
- Penalty Kill Percentage: Winnipeg Jets 87.10 / Chicago Blackhawks 85.71
Why Consider Betting on Winnipeg?
Why consider betting on the NHL Spread for Winnipeg? Because the Jets are the better team at both ends of the ice this season and would like nothing better than to send a message to their division rivals in this matchup.
Winnipeg is 7-1-2 over their last 10 games and has won three straight coming into this contest including a convincing 7-1 win over San Jose on Sunday night. The Central Division-leading Jets are a nearly perfect 6-0-1 over their last seven games and have scored at least four goals in their past 13 victories.
“Everyone’s stepped up a little bit,” said Jets forward Blake Wheeler after he dished a pair of assists to extend his point streak to seven games. “We’ve had some injuries and some guys have been given opportunities to play a little bit different role, a little bit bigger role, and done a good job.”
Patrik Laine and Dustin Byfuglien also scored for the Jets in the opener of a three-game road trip. Joel Armia added an empty-netter for good measure as the Jets scored a whopping seven goals for the fourth time this season. Winnipeg’s backup goaltender Steve Mason made 30 saves to earn a win for the first time in his past four starts.
“It was nice to have the goal support,” Mason said. “That made it a little easier for me to settle back in a rhythm.”
Why Consider Betting On Chicago?
Why consider betting on the NHL Spread for Chicago? Because the Blackhawks are completely desperate right now! Chicago has gone 4-5-1 over their last 10 games, including their 2-1 loss to Minnesota on Wednesday night. Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook was back in the lineup and celebrated with his first goal since opening night after being a healthy scratch in Chicago’s 8-2 victory in Ottawa on Tuesday night.
“We had some OK zone time, but we really weren’t connecting on passes,” said superstar Patrick Kane, after posting a career-high five points at Ottawa. “The Wild did a good job intercepting plays we were looking for, so it a little bit of a different club we are going up against. A bit frustrating when you get something going. You want to build off that and we didn’t do it.”
Latest NHL Betting Trends
- Jets are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games on the road
- Jets are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Winnipeg’s last 5 games when playing on the road against Chicago
- Blackhawks are 3-6 ATS in their last 9 games at home
- Blackhawks are 5-2 SU in their last 7 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Chicago’s last 8 games
Expert Analysis and Prediction
While the Blackhawks are ranked a solid eighth in scoring (3.1 gpg) and respectable 11th in goals allowed (2.7 gpg).Winnipeg is the pick in this one simply because they’ve been the better than Chicago in every phase this season despite giving up just a couple of percentage points more per game than the Blackhawks defensively.
The Jets are ranked an impressive third in scoring this season (3.4 gpg) and respectable 13th in goals allowed (2.7 gpg) and have a legitimate Hart trophy contender in right winger Blake Wheeler (50 points). Winnipeg has gone 10-8-6 on the road this season, but I like them to improve on that mark by nailing down the hard-fought road win in this one against a Chicago team that looks like it will need to reload following this season if they want to get back to being perennial title favorites.
Pick: Winnipeg Jets 4 – Chicago Blackhawks 3