Injuries are a natural and expected part of any sport, but perhaps even more so in hockey, which is a tough, sometimes violent sport. A team’s season can be brought to a grinding halt with a major injury, and the fear for the Edmonton Oilers is that they will fold with news that number 1 draft pick Connor McDavid is going to be out for months with a broken collarbone. Edmonton will try to put on a brave face when they welcome in the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday night who are favorite on online betting odds to take the match.
Online Betting Game Preview: Penguins @ Oilers
Date: Friday, November 6th, 2015
Venue: Rexall Place
Opening Line: Pittsburgh +110
You would be excused for having missed it, but the Pittsburgh Penguins (8-4-0) are one of the hottest teams in hockey right now. The reason you may have missed it is because they are somewhat flying under the radar. They are winning tight defensive games night in and night out, and are not relying on offense the way we all thought they would. The fact that Pittsburgh is #1 with a 1.8 goals against per game average tells you all you need to know about how they are getting the job done. The scary thing here is that the goals are starting to come on a more regular basis now, as the Pens have managed 11 goals in their last 3 games, while still only conceding 4. Yes, they will still be looking for more from Crosby and Kessel, and if those guys can get on a roll, the Penguins might soon take total control of the Metropolitan Division.
Penguins vs Oilers Key Online Betting Trends
- Pittsburgh is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 14 of Pittsburgh’s last 19 games
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 7 games on the road
- Pittsburgh is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games when playing Edmonton
- Edmonton is 6-13 SU in its last 19 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Edmonton’s last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Edmonton’s last 5 games at home
- Edmonton is 2-7 SU in its last 9 games when playing Pittsburgh
What Should You Consider Before Placing Your Bets?
The young Oilers were always going to be in tough in this game, but it has become even more of a mission impossible scenario with the injury to McDavid. I like the Penguins to win, but I do think it will be closer than most people expect.