The New Zealand Warriors and Brisbane Broncos will both be desperate to get back in the win column when the two struggling teams square off in their round 8 matchup on Saturday. Can the Warriors bounce back from two straight embarrassing losses or will the Broncos finally snap out of the ugly funk they’ve been in since their last game before the break? Let’s find out now which team is offering the best value in this matchup, along with their NRL odds.
NRL Broncos Vs Warriors Round 8
Why Bet On The Warriors
New Zealand is sitting in 14th place in the NRL standings with four points. The Warriors have scored just 79 points this season while allowing a generous 182 points defensively (-103). New Zealand has gone 2-1 at home, but a winless 0-4 on the road. The Warriors come into this contest off a humbling 40-12 road loss against the Rabbitohs in round 6 and they looked even worse in their abysmal 50-6 road loss against the Storm on Friday. New Zealand got a try from Patrick Herbert but the Warriors gave up nine tries and seven conversions in the loss.
For round 8, team captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will head to the judiciary on Tuesday night to fight a one-match ban for an alleged shoulder charge. The Warriors have temporarily gained another forward in Penrith’s Jack Hetherington. Lachlan Burr, Karl Lawton and David Fusitu’a will be monitored after head knocks. Jazz Tevaga could return from a calf injury.
Why Bet On The Broncos
Brisbane is sitting in 15th place in the 16-team NRL standings with an uninspiring four points. The Broncos have been limited to 92 points while allowing a league-worst 209 points defensively (-117). Brisbane has gone an uninspiring 1-3 at home and 1-2 on the road this season. Heading into round 8, forward Joe Ofahengaue has accepted a two-match ban for a shoulder charge. Prop Matt Lodge suffered a knee injury last week but should suit up in this one while Cory Paix (pectoral) and Kotoni Staggs (hamstring) could both return.
General Match Info Brisbane Broncos (2-0-3) vs. New Zealand Warriors (2-0-4)
- When: Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 2:30 AM AEST
- Where: Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast
- Broncos Vs Warriors Live: Nine/Fox Sports
- Handicap: Broncos -4.5
- Money Lines: Warriors +145 / Broncos -175
Expert Analysis and Prediction
This matchup between two of the worst teams in the NRL this season is a simple pick between the lesser of two evils for me. New Zealand has looked completely and utterly awful the last two weeks, but Brisbane has looked as equally inept in dropping five straight including an unfathomable, record-setting 59-0 shellacking at the hands of the defending champion Roosters in round 4. I’m going to say Brisbane keeps it close to cover the 4.5-point spread in what looks like an ugly affair just waiting to happen!
Pick: Warriors 22 Broncos 20
Telstra Premiership 2020 Round 8 Matches
- Dragons vs Raiders – Friday 3rd July, 04:00 AM | GIO Stadium, Canberra
- Cowboys vs Eels – Friday 3rd July, 05:55 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Sharks vs Titans – Friday 3rd July, 01:00 AM | Cbus Super Stadium, Gold Coast
- Panthers vs Wests Tigers – Saturday 4th July, 05:35 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Roosters vs Storm – Thursday 2nd July, 05:50 AM | Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
- Knights vs Sea Eagles – Sunday 5tht July, 02:05 AM | Lottoland, Sydney
- Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs – Sunday 5th July, 04:30 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney