With the NRL, the top professional rugby league in New Zealand and Australia, getting back underway this week following its coronavirus-related suspension, it’s time to find out whether the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks can pick up their first win of the season at home against the visiting Wests Tigers when they square off in their Round 3 matchup on Saturday. With tons of value-packed rugby action going down this week, let’s get started and take a closer look at the upcoming matchup along with their NRL odds.
NRL Wests Tigers vs Sharks Round 3
Why Bet On The Sharks
The Sharks are in 11th place in the NRL standings, having scored 28 points while allowing 34. Cronulla kicked off its 2020 campaign with a 22-18 loss against the Rabbitohs on March 14 before losing another close affair by falling against the Storm 12-10 on March 21. Hooker, Blake Brailey leads the team with 77 tackles. Halfback Shaun Johnson has recorded team highs of 12 points and six goals while winger Sione Katoa has a team-high two tries. The one-time league champs and three-time runner-ups have a 66% completion rate and an 88.6% tackle efficiency with an average ball play speed of 3.51 seconds.
Why Bet On The West Tigers
The Wests Tigers are in ninth place in the NRL standings with 48 points scored, but a generous 56 points allowed defensively (-8). The Tigers opened their 2020 season with a solid 24-14 win over the Dragons on March 15 before getting man-handled in their 42-24 loss against the Knights in Round 2. Prop, Alex Twal has a team-high 95 tackles, just four off league leader Apisai Koroisau. Captain and five-eighth, Mitchell Moses has recorded team-highs of 20 points and eight goals while winger David Nofoaluma has a team-high three tries. The one-time league champs have a 74% completion rate and an 86.3% tackle rate with an average ball play speed of 3.57 seconds.
Expert Analysis and Prediction
The last time these two met, the Sharks recorded a convincing 25-8 road win on September 7, 2019. Prior to that, the Sharks beat the Tigers 24-16 at home on June 9, 2018 in their only other all-time head-to-head matchup. I know Cronulla has lost both of its two games to start the season, but they’ve been very competitive in both games and now they’re a tad desperate – and back at home. Yes, the Wests Tigers can score with the best teams in the league so far this season, but they’ve also been borderline inept defensively in giving up a whopping 56 points which is tied for second-most allowed heading into Round 3. This one looks like a tight affair just waiting to happen, but in the end, I like the Sharks to take care of business at home.
Pick: Sharks 26 Tigers 24
General Game Info Wests Tigers (1-0-1) vs. Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (0-0-2)
- When: Saturday, May 30 at 2:30 AM ET
- Where: Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- West Tigers vs Sharks Live: Fox
- Spread: Wests Tigers +1½ / Cronulla Sharks -1½
Telstra Premiership 2020 Round 3 Matches
- Eels vs Broncos – Thursday 28th May, 05:50 AM | Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
- Titans vs Cowboys – Friday 29th May, 04:00 AM | Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville
- Dragons vs Warriors – Saturday 30th May, 01:00 AM | Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast
- Rabbitohs vs Rooster – Friday 29th May, 05:55 AM | Bankwest Stadium, Sydney
- Raiders vs Storm – Saturday 30th May, 05:35 AM | AAMI Park, Melbourne
- Knights vs Panthers – Sunday 31st May, 02:05 AM | Campbelltown Stadium, Sydney
- Bulldogs vs Sea Eagles – Sunday 31st May, 04:30 AM | Central Coast Stadium, Central Coast