It’s a rematch for the 135-pound belt between champion Amanda Nunes and No. 1 contender Valentina Shevchenko on Saturday night from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. That’s the same venue that will host Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor next month. It’s not too often that a champion will be a betting underdog, but Nunes currently is -105 on the MMA odds with Shevchenko at -115. The main card is on pay-per- view.A few years ago, there weren’t even any women’s divisions in the UFC. Organization president Dana White didn’t believe in it. But things have definitely changed – thanks in part to former pound-for-pound queen Ronda Rousey – and now a women’s fight is anchoring the UFC’s annual big July 4 weekend event.
UFC 213 Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 Odds & Betting PredictionWhen: July 8th, 2017Where: T-Mobile Arena, Paradise, NV.MMA Odds: Shevchenko at -115 / Nunes at -105
First FightThese two met at UFC 196 last March. It’s important to note that wasn’t a title fight and thus only scheduled for three rounds. I say that because this is a five-rounder. It’s also relevant because by most accounts, Nunes was the better fighter early in the first go-round but Shevchenko was clearly taking charge by the end of the bout. Many believe that if it had been five rounds then, Shevchenko would have won.Despite winning a unanimous decision in the fight, Nunes has been bombarded with questions and quotes about losing the third round after she seemingly ran out of steam. Nunes believes that round is being blown completely out of proportion when looking at her performance during the remainder of the fight.“Nothing happened in the third [round], I beat her by unanimous decision,” Nunes said. If you look back at the fight, I beat her. There’s nothing to talk about with that fight. I beat her and that’s it. This is the thing, our next fight, I will not leave this fight in the judges’ hands.”Nunes has changed her training to focus on fighting for 25 minutes so her conditioning is no longer an issue. Shevchenko has a few tricks up her sleeve as well.“I will try to finish her as soon as I can – this is one thing that I know exactly,” Shevchenko said. “I don’t like to imagine, to dream about how it will end. I’m more realistic. And I’ve prepared for everything. I’ve prepared to finish, I’ve prepared to do everything that I have to do to take the victory, and I will do it.”
Both Haven’t Lost SinceAlthough Nunes (14-4) started her professional career five years after Shevchenko (14-2), she has more total fights. Most notably, Nunes has eight additional fights in the pro ranks when her two Invicta Fighting Championships bouts are included. This is because Nunes debuted in Strikeforce in 2011, whereas Shevchenko first fought in the UFC in 2015; and “Bullet” took four years off from MMA between 2006 and 2010 while competing in muay Thai tournaments.Nunes has won five straight overall and two in a row since beating Shevchenko. Nunes won the bantamweight belt at UFC 200 one year ago from Miesha Tate and then ended Rousey’s career in her first defense with a first-round TKO last December. It was right hand after right hand. Nunes obliterated Rousey, who showed zero defense.Nunes said she knew she’d get the decisive stoppage win after getting ready for Rousey from the moment she arrived in the UFC. She explained: “I knew I was gonna beat the s**t out of Ronda Rousey like that. I trained for this girl from my first fight in the UFC. I proved to everybody I am the best on the planet.”Shevchenko beat Holly Holm by unanimous decision after losing to Nunes and then took out Julianna Pena by second-round submission in January.
Latest UFC Results & MMA Odds History
- Win – UFC 207. December 30th, 2016 vs Ronda Rousey. Melbourne, Australia. MMA Odds: Nunes at +148 / Rousey at -158
- Win – UFC 200. July 9th, 2016 vs Miesha Tate. Las Vegas, Nevada. MMA Odds: Nunes at +240 / Tate at -260
- Win – UFC 196. March 5th, 2016 vs Valentina Shevchenko. Las Vegas, Nevada. MMA Odds: Nunes at +100 / Shevchenko at -110
- Win – UFC Fight Night. August 8th, 2015 vs Sara McMann. Nashville, Tennessee. MMA Odds: Nunes at +225 / McMann at -245
- Win – UFC Fight Night. March 21st, 2015 vs Shayna Baszler. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. MMA Odds: Nunes at -570/ Baszler at +480
- Win – UFC on Fox. January 28, 2017 vs Julianna Peña. Denver, Colorado. MMA Odds: Shevchenko at -180 / Peña at +158
- Win – UFC on Fox. July 23rd, 2016, 2016 vs Holly Holm. Chicago, Illinois. MMA Odds: Shevchenko at +164 / Holm at -174
- Loss – UFC 196. March 5th, 2016 vs Amanda Nunes. Las Vegas, Nevada. MMA Odds: Shevchenko at -110 / Nunes at +100
- Win – UFC on Fox. December 19th, 2016 vs Sarah Kaufman. Orlando, Florida. MMA Odds: Shevchenko at +120 / Nunes at -130