This past offseason in the NBA was one of the busiest that we have seen in years in terms of player movement. Yes, players switch teams every single season, but it was the movement of star players that was unprecedented this tie around. All those moves made it a little tougher to handicap the season, which has not really been the case with the NBA over the past decade or so. In the past you could look at 3 or 4 teams as being likely championship contenders, but there are a lot more teams with their hat in the ring this season after making a big splash in the free agent market.
The defending champion Toronto Raptors lost their best player in the offseason, but they have not taken too much of a step back. The Houston Rockets landed one of the best players in the game in free agency, yet they have not really taken off this season. It will be those two teams who will go head to head in Toronto on Thursday night in what should be an incredibly entertaining game. The Raptors are in as a 2 ½ point favorite, with the point total set at 230 ½ for this one.
Rockets vs Raptors NBA Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- When: Thursday, December 5 at 7:30 PM EST
- Where: Rogers Centre, Toronto
- TV: NBATV
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Odds: Toronto Raptors -2.5 (Total 230.5)
Why bet on the Houston Rockets?With the acquisition of Russell Westbrook in the offseason, the expectation was that the Rockets would take a giant step forward. As is often the case, though, there can be teething troubles when there is already a big-name player on the team. There have been times when Westbrook and James Harden have clicked on the court, but it is not yet happening often enough.
The Rockets are 13-7 on the season, but that is arguably more than a little disappointing. They come into this one off a loss in their previous game, a defeat that took them to 6-4 in their last 10 games. Road games have been particularly problematic, with the Rockets going 5-5 SU on the road. Versus Toronto, they are 4-12 ATS in their last 16 meetings.
- Total Score: 120.90
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.71
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.02
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.90
- Total Rebounds: 47.80
- Total Score: 115.50
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.80
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.52
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.36
- Total Rebounds: 46.80
Why bet on the Toronto Raptors?With Kawhi Leonard bolting to the LA Clippers after winning a championship with the Raptors, the sense was that Toronto might take a big step backward this season. What people seemed to forget was that Toronto had built a team knowing that their star player might not be around this year, so their falloff has been minimal. The Raptors are sitting at 15-5 on the season, which has them 3rd in the Eastern Conference.
They are coming off a loss on their last game, but they are also still 8-2 in their last 10 games. Where the Raptors have excelled this season is in their own building, where they are an impressive 9-1 SU. They are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games and 13-6 ATS in their last 19 versus teams from the Western Conference.
- Total Score: 113.10
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.90
- Three-Point Percentage: 39.32
- Free Throw Percentage: 80.22
- Total Rebounds: 46.20
- Total Score: 105.00
- Field Goal Percentage: 41.09
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.35
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.72
- Total Rebounds: 48.85
Rockets vs Raptors NBA Betting Trends
- Raptors are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games at home
- Raptors are 13-6 ATS in their last 19 games against an opponent in the Western conference
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Toronto’s last 7 games played in December
- Rockets are 10-4 SU in their last 14 games
- Rockets are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Eastern conference
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Houston’s last 9 games on the road
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Rockets vs RaptorsThe Rockets won both meetings against Toronto last season, but this year looks to be a different matter. The Raptors are ridiculously good at home, and when you consider their ATS record versus the Rockets, they look like a good bet to win and cover here.
Score: Houston Rockets 113 – Toronto Raptors 118